Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Encourage One Another

"Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds."
-Romans 10:24
I love this verse, as it speaks to one of the most powerful aspects of Christianity: community. I consider myself truly blessed, because I am surrounded by an incredibly strong group of best friends, the majority of who are believers. Whenever I begin to struggle with sin or become disconnected from God, I know that I can go to my friends and give an honest confession of my feelings, with the understanding that they will take heed of Matthew 7:1-2, which says, "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." One of the most beautiful things about close, Christian relationships is that we know we are all sinners and that since Jesus died for our sins, we are no better than one another - it is a completely level playing field.

More importantly than the compassion and lack of judgment that my friends continuously exhibit is the fact that I can rely on them to help restore me through conversation and prayer. 1 Thessalonians 5:11 tells Christians to "encourage one another and build each other up." Although listening to each other's feelings and struggles is important (reference James 1:19), we can be even more proactive in helping our Christian brothers and sisters. Praying for your friends is one of the best ways that you can build them up.

Christian community is also fostered outside of our "immediate friends." At the Austin Stone, the Bible studies are referred to as "Community Groups." It's always good to stretch yourself and meet new people, as 1 John 4:21 tell us that God has given us the following command: "Whoever loves God must also love his brother." I think that loving new people who we haven't sought out as friends is outside of how we are tend to function. Finding people whom you can foster and who can encourage you is a key part of our spiritual journey.

I meet with a few friends (coincidentally my coworkers) in Oklahoma City, and we have what I would describe as "solid accountability." When we meet, we will describe things that are going on in our lives, talk about things we are struggling with or problems we are having, and one of us will write down our prayer requests - which all seems simple enough. I know that these individuals care about me, and vice versa, and I love the fact that they are ready to support me if needed. I am looking forward to finding a good, solid Community Group in Houston, so that I can emulate that relationship in my own hometown.

If you do not feel like you have close friends whom you can talk to about your most intimate feelings, perhaps you need to get out of your comfort zone and seek these types of relationships at a nearby church. However, everywhere you go and in everything you do, you are to be living on a mission, so don't just look for Christian friendships inside the church walls. Spur these types of conversations in the most unexpected places with seemingly random people, and you may be pleased with what blossoms.

My prayer for you is that you will continue to foster these types of relationships and come to value the accountability that your friends can offer. If you ever want to talk to me about anything, please call or email me at any time of the day.

In His name,
Ailee

No comments:

Post a Comment